With the air getting cooler and nights getting longer, you can tell wintertime is just around the corner. While this approaching change of season flaunts a sense of renewal in people and introduces a string of exciting cold-weather activities, you do not want to forget about home maintenance. And there is no better place to start than with this window cleaning checklist from a window installation expert.
Supplies You Need
- Microfiber cloths
- A sponge
- A soft bristle brush
- A bucket of soapy water
- A vacuum with extension hose
- A residue-free glass cleaner
Steps to Take
- Choose a cloudy day to clean. Sunlight streaming through windows can heat the glass and cause cleaners to dry up too swiftly, leaving unsightly streaks.
- Remove and clean window coverings. Damp a microfiber cloth with soapy water, and then thoroughly wipe down curtains, draperies or other window coverings to remove traces of dirt and dust.
- Brush window frames and tracks. Run your soft bristle brush across the frames and tracks of windows to clean out dirt and debris.
- Remove and clean window screens. Clean the window screens with a soft bristle brush. If you see any lingering gunk, vacuum it using an extension hose in your backyard or on your lawn. Watch out for small tears in the screens that may need to be patched up.
- Wipe window sills. With a microfiber cloth, wipe the window sills to absorb excess water from the previous cleanings.
- Clean and install storm windows if they were removed during the warmer months.
- Use a residue-free solution to clean the glass inside and out. Residues from soaps and scents found in many glass cleaners can attract dirt to the surface and leave streaks on the glass. Clean the glass in an up-down or side-to-side motion using a microfiber cloth. Make sure the glass completely dries to avoid water marks.
Window company Renewal by Andersen® of Greater Philadelphia installs top-quality windows and patio doors. Our professional team is ready to work with you to turn your dream home into a reality. Call us today at (610) 563-2190, or complete our contact form to schedule an appointment.